Cucumber Mango Salad
Most of the salads I make are some sort of variations of things on top of lettuce. Not that I like lettuce much – it’s just that it doesn’t have many calories so it’s a good filler.
I did make a few salads that were not lettuce-based:
- the Peruvian sarsa salad, which was delicious;
- the Indonesian vegetable salad, which I liked;
- the Süßkartoffelsalat aka German Sweet Potato Salad (is it really a salad?).
All of which more or less I liked.
Time for another one, a bit of a sweet version.
It’s an interesting balance and maybe more of an acquired taste. I didn’t love it and also didn’t hate it.
The onion and mango make for an interesting interplay, while the cooked tomato counters the freshness of the mango.
It takes about 30-35 minutes to make, most of it waiting for cooked ingredients to cool down.
The ingredients below serve 6 assuming you serve it as a side to something. If by itself, I am not sure it works as the serving size is 2/3 cup - like who eats by the small measure?!
- 2 cups thinly sliced English cucumber (about 1 cucumber)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomato (about 1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons chopped unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded red jalapeöo pepper (about 1)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded green jalapeöo pepper (about 1)
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1 3/4 cups diced peeled ripe mango (about 1)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a colander; toss gently. Let stand at least 20 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high head.
Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
Add tomato and next 8 ingredients (through ground cloves) to pan;
sauté 5 minutes or until tomato is tender.
Remove from heat; cool to room temperature (about 20 minutes).
- Combine drained cucumber mixture, tomato mixture,
and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl;
toss gently to combine.
Serves 6 (serving size: 2/3 cup)
- calories 95;
- fat 349 (sat 0.5g, mono 1.5g, poly 1.1mg);
- protein 28g;
- carb 15.9g;
- fiber 2.9g;
- cholesterol 0mg;
- iron 0.7mg; sodium 204mg; calcium 31mg