This is another delicious recipe I picked off Mel’s Kitchen Cafe blog and made my own and thus screwed it up in the process.
On the left is my version, on the right is the considerably better looking version from Mel’s blog.
I don’t quite know what exactly I screwed up.
Given the amount of tomatoes (chopped) this requires, as well as the 1 cup of BBQ sauce, I’m surprised how clean Mel’s version is.
I’m confident my using messy shredded pork over cubed chicked didn’t help, but still…
The recipe is delicious nonetheless.
About 30 minutes to make. Add 5 hours if you include the cooking of the pork on a slow cooker :)
This is for my version. You can find Mel’s Monterey BBQ Chicken Pasta here.
If you find it too sweet, you can add some marinara sauce and/or some more pasta.
- 1 to 2 pounds shredded pork
- 6-7 slices bacon, cooked, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) rotel tomatoes, undrained
- 16 ounces rotini pasta (or similar shape)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray’s)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped chives or green onions, for garnish (optional)o
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the broth and the rotel tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta and the salt, stir to combine, bring to boil and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the pasta is cooked usually 10-15 minutes (see pasta package instructions).
- Add in the BBQ sauce, the pork, and the bacon, and stir until heated throughout.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top, cover, and let rest for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
Serve garnished with chives or green onions. Extra BBQ sauce as needed or maybe a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar.